Arts Services Inc. (ASI), on behalf of the Corporation’s Terminal Recovery Center (CTRC), is inviting artists in all appropriate media (3-dimensional designs are likely to be mobile so cars can cross only when needed) from all over New York to submit proposals for an outdoor and welcoming accommodation project located at the entrance of the Buffalo Central Terminal in Buffalo, New York, outside Memorial Drive and Paderewski Drive. KTRK is looking for a design to replace the cones on the ramp at the entrance to the highway.
Background and Objectives of the Project
Buffalo’s Central Terminal is located in the heart of Broadway’s Filmmore neighborhood and is a landmark on the East Side. Buffalo Central Terminal wants:
- Welcome to our neighbors and the growing positive connection between the Broadway-Filmmore community and East Said;
- Recognition of the diverse and multi-ethnic Broadway-Fillmore neighborhood;
- Focus and focus on the wide outdoor space;
- Creating momentum for future reuse;
- Build the momentum to designate Fallmore Avenue as the Black Lives Matter Way; and
- Replace the current frontier with a creative and imaginative entrance.
The project consists of two components:
- Make the imaginary design stand out as a welcome entry from the visible range on Memorial Drive and Paderewski Drive. The project is temporary and will last 3-5 years. It can be painted or built on the floor, but in either case it should have less maintenance, restrict traffic to the Central Terminal, and increase pedestrian and bicycle traffic by design.
- OTRK can expand this project in the second phase. The second stage will be the creation of an imaginary design on the asphalt that can be used as a template for play and other activities, such as cycling and hiking. The second stage is not included in this call for proposals and, if necessary, will be conducted as a separate call for proposals.
There will be a $ 9,000 commission for the selected artist to create and install his work and some materials to complete the project. The artist should explain in detail what kind of help or material is requested in their presentation. Funding for this project is provided in part by Filmmore District Council member Mitch Novakovsky.
Deadline for submission: No later than Friday, January 15, 2021
January – February 2021: Choosing an artist
February – March 2021: Public announcement of the election
May 3 – July 30, 2021: Implementation of walls and planning meetings; completed and installed work (depending on weather conditions)
This schedule will be updated and modified as the building is prepared through the appropriate phases of construction.
Suggestions should include:
- Job description, including materials and dimensions;
- Sketches of work;
- References to examples of past work; and
- Contact information (including email, phone and address).
Proposals must be submitted electronically (in PDF format) email@example.com with the subject line ‘CRTC Offer’, as well as any questions related to this call. The site is open and accessible to the public, so anyone can visit the site and watch it in person. Construction is limited in the area and those areas will be fenced off.
Click here to download Full Bell for Artists.